Things to Consider
It is a difficult and confusing time when a loved one passes away, and working out what needs to be done can be overwhelming. The advice and guidance of a professional funeral director is invaluable, as they can assist you with these unfamiliar tasks and make sure the process is as simple as possible.
Here at Chelsea Funeral Directors, we have 130 years of experience helping grieving families with funeral planning considerations. We are a trusted member of SAIF and take the time to give everyone that comes to us personal attention and care.
What to do when a death occurs:
- If the death occurs at home, and is expected, then contact a doctor so they can issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. After this, most families prefer to have the deceased taken to a funeral directors’ chapel of rest as soon as possible.
- For an expected death that occurs at a nursing home, residential care home, or a hospital, the nursing staff will carry out the necessary procedures.
- In the case of an unexpected death you will need to call emergency services on 111 so that they can determine the cause of death, and contact the coroner.
- After the deceased is transferred to our private chapel of rest, the next step is to register the death with the Register Office within 5 days. You will need a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death, or permission from the coroner if it was an unexpected death.
- Arranging a funeral is your next step, and the qualified and professional team at Chelsea Funeral Directors can assist you with all of the funeral considerations.
- After the funeral you will have to tell the government about the death. The ‘Tell Us Once’ service is helpful as it allows you to inform all the necessary departments at once.
We are available to you 24 hours a day, every day, so that when a death occurs we can immediately come and transfer your loved one to our chapel of rest. We cater to all of Chelsea, Westminster and Fulham, so please contact us in your time of need.
Click here for our first steps booklet