Chelsea Funeral Directors is committed to protecting your personal information.
Who we are
The full name of our company is Alex Jones Funeral Directors Limited trading as Chelsea Funeral Directors and our address is 260b Fulham Road, London SW10 9EL.
How to contact us
FAO Data Protection Officer
Chelsea Funeral Directors
260b Fulham Road
Information we collect and use
Information about you that we collect and use includes:
• Information about who you are e.g. your name, and your contact details
• Information about your deceased relative or friend e.g. their name, age, religion, doctor, occupation, next of kin etc.
• Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters
• Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information e.g. relating to your deceased relative or friend e.g. health, marital or civil partnership status. This information will only be collected and used where it’s needed to provide the service that you have requested or to comply with our legal obligations
• Information you may provide us about other people e.g. joint applicants or beneficiaries for products you have with us, such as funeral plans
Where we collect your information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
• an application form for a product or service
• phone conversations with us
• emails or letters you send to us
• meetings with one of our Funeral Directors or administration staff
If your deceased relative/friend has a funeral plan, the information we collect, and use will most likely have been provided by them.
We may also collect personal information on you from places such as Care homes and hospitals e.g. to check or improve the information we hold (like your address) or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly.
What we collect and use your information for
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only where:
• you have given us your permission to send you information about products and services and / or selected third parties we have chosen to work with which we believe may be of interest and benefit to you
• it’s necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. if you want to apply for a funeral plan, we will require some personal information including your name, address, date of birth, bank account details
• it’s in the legitimate interests of a third party e.g. sharing information with Hospital, Mortuary, Cemetery Office, Funeral Celebrant, Stationery provider etc.
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with our products or services.
Who we may share your information with
We may share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in ‘What we collect and use your information for’.
These third parties include:
• Cemetery/Crematorium office
• Church Minister or Celebrants
• Donation recipients
• Nursing Homes/Hospices
• Companies that you chose to support us in the delivery of the funeral services such as, newspapers, organists, florists, refreshment providers, vehicle providers, embalmers etc.
• Our data regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office for the UK (the ICO)
We will never sell your details to someone else. Whenever we share your personal information, we will do so in line with our obligations to keep your information safe and secure.
Where your information is processed
All of your information is processed in the UK or EEA.
Where your information is being processed outside of the EEA, we take additional steps to ensure that your information is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied by UK / EEA data privacy laws e.g. we will put in place legal agreements with our third-party suppliers to ensure they meet these obligations.
How we protect your information
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and must undertake annual training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our services while you are a customer.
We may also keep your information after this period but only where required to meet our legal or regulatory obligations. The length of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the obligations we need to meet.
Your individual rights
You have several rights in relation to how Chelsea Funeral Directors uses your information. They are:
• Right to be informed
• Right of access
You have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data subject access request (DSAR).
• Right to request that your personal information be rectified
If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected.
• Right to request erasure
You can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for Chelsea Funeral Directors to continue to have it.
• Right to restrict processing
You can ask that we block or suppress the processing of your personal information for certain reasons. This means that we are still permitted to keep your information – but only to ensure we don’t use it in the future for those reasons you have restricted.
• Right to data portability
You can ask for a copy of your personal information. In certain circumstances, you may move, copy or transfer the personal information we hold to another company in a safe and secure way. For example, if you were moving your funeral plan to another provider.
• Right to object
You can object to Chelsea Funeral Directors processing your personal information where: it’s based on our legitimate interests; for direct marketing; and if we were using it for scientific/historical research and statistics.
How to make a complaint
We will always strive to collect, use and safeguard your personal information in line with data protection laws. In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Chelsea Funeral Directors (or third parties described above), or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the supervisory authority and Chelsea Funeral Directors.
The details for each of these contacts are:
FAO Data Protection Officer
Chelsea Funeral Directors
260b Fulham Road
Telephone: 020 7352 0008
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113