We are recruiting!
Funeral Service Operative
Hours: Full-time – 8:30am-5:30pm; expectation to work flexibly
Salary: Competitive / subject to experience & overtime will be paid
Will report to the Funeral Director
Based at Chelsea Funeral Directors’ office in Fulham, but occasionally at our other two offices: Chelsea & Westminster.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
– Working as part of a small team to carry out funerals to the highest standard: pallbearing, driving our vehicles with pride and care, whilst maintaining our fleet, ensuring they are in pristine condition for each funeral.
– Transferring deceased into our care, adhering to identification procedures throughout.
– Care of the deceased: first rites & basic body preparation, whilst maintaining the highest standards of dignity.
– Dressing & preparation of the deceased including placing the deceased in coffins, as appropriate.
– Facilitating families visiting chapels of rest.
– Coffin & casket (including ashes caskets) preparation: lining & furnishing, as required.
– Engraving name plates: coffin, ashes caskets & temporary grave markers.
– Assisting with managing stock levels.
– Timely delivery of all relevant documentation in order that the funeral may proceed.
– Dealing with telephone, email & personal enquiries from colleagues.
– Fostering relationships with clergy, doctors, nursing homes, hospital & mortuary staff etc.
– Sharing ‘24 hour on call’ responsibilities with the rest of the team. This is usually one week per month: starting Monday at 5pm & finishing the following Monday morning at 8.30am – including weekends & UK bank and public holidays.
As part of a small team you will also be involved with: administrative tasks; office up-keep; cleaning & maintaining company premises including offices, chapels, workshops, mortuaries, garages etc. ensuring they are clean & tidy at all times; getting involved in other projects, as necessary.
This is by no means an exhaustive list but it gives an indication of the many duties and responsibilities involved.
– Able to drive with a full valid & clean driving license.
– Immaculately smart in appearance. Uniform provided.
– Active & physically fit: able to lift, carry, dress the deceased & basically do anything that needs doing. Manual handling is an integral part of this role.
– Willing to work flexibly: occasionally starting early or working late or over the weekend, if necessary.
– A team player & ready for a challenge.
– A confident & courteous communicator.
– Emotionally intelligent (sensitive, kind, calm & practical).
– Highly organised, with a good attention to detail & sense of logistical planning.
– An excellent all rounder & completely flexible in approach to work.
If you are curious, reliable & enthusiastic, we would love to hear from you. To let us know why you think you would be right for this role, please email Jason Maiden: email@example.com
Alternatively write to: Jason Maiden, Chelsea Funeral Directors, 260b Fulham Road, LONDON, SW10 9EL.
Application deadline: 5th November 2018. Subject to a probationary period.
Article posted on Wednesday, October, 10th, 2018 at 8:00 am